Dr.M.Manivannan is a professor of Biomedical Engineering in IIT Madras, Department of Applied Mechanics. He received post-doctoral training at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge. He was a visiting scientist at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) of Harvard Medical School (HMS) in
Boston, and a visiting faculty in the Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore. Before MIT and Harvard, he
received another post-doctoral training at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Maryland. Before joining IIT Madras in Jun 2005, he was serving as a chief software architect of Yantric Inc., a spin-off company of MIT Touchlab, in Cambridge MA. In 2005 Dr.Manivannan has setup the first Touchlab in India at IIT Madras, which is also known as Haptics Lab. He holds PhD and ME degrees from the Indian Institute of Science(IISc), Bangalore. More details can be found in this link.
Dr. M. Manivannan
Dept. of. Applied Mechanics, IIT Madras
Email: mani [at] iitm [dot] ac [dot] in, and mani [at] alum [dot] mit [dot] edu
Laboratory Associated: Touch Lab at IIT Madras
Areas of Specialization
- Haptics (What is Haptics?)
- Virtual Reality and Engineering
- Computer Graphics
- Computational Physiology
- Needs of Vision Impaired, Hearing Impaired, and Touch Impaired.
- Medical Simulations with Haptics Feedback.
- Applications of Haptics in Computer Games.
- Science of Touch in Indian Medicine.
Recent Papers (Current and Last Year)
Complete List of Publications
- A Simple Catheter Insertion Simulation
- Our Hybrid Haptic Device
- Tangible Images
- Combat Tactile Jacket
- Laparoscopic Simulator with Haptic Guidance.
Courses Teaching at IITM
List of Courses Taught
Ph.D, Masters and Bachelor theses
List of Theses
Promotion of Haptics in India
- Short term course on "Introduction to Haptics" in IISc
Bangalore as a visiting scientist from MIT during July-August 2004.
- Haptics Worskhop, Techfest IIT Bombay, Jan 24-25 2009.
- Haptics and Bioedical Engineering, an elective course introduced in IIT Madras, Aug 2009.
- Haptics Workshop, IIT Delhi, Jul 9-10 2011.
- Haptics Challenges in MEMS, an invited talk in "The XVI
International Workshop on the Physics of Semiconductor Devices", IIT
Kanpur, Dec 19-22 2011.
- One day Symposium on “Virtual Reality based Medical Simulation with Touch feedback (VRMiST12)” July 14, 2012, at IIT Madras in collaboration with IIT Delhi.
- Psychophysics, an elective course introduced in IIT Madras, Aug 2015.
- Workshop on Haptics, IIT Kanpur, Dec 2015.
Promoting Engineering of Alternative Medicine in India
- Two-day workshop on “Varma Naadi Based Clinical Diagnosis: Dasa Naadi - Clinical and Scientific Exploration”, Jul 26,27 2012.
- Memorandum of Understanding has been signed with National Insitute of Siddha on 22nd June 2011
- One-day workshop on “Varma Naadi Based Clinical Diagnosis”, Dec 2010.
- Spin-off research foundation: International Varma Research Foundation
- National workshop on "Scientific Approaches in Siddha Drugs for Siddha Doctors” SASDSD2010 April 22nd - 23rd - 2010.
- Two-day workshop on "Alternative Medicine and Biomedical Engineering"; AMBE2006.
- Panecea, Biomedical Competition and Business Event, 2007-2008.
- Short Term Training Program for Biomedical Engineering Faculty, June 11-22, 2007, IIT Madras. (Jointly with Dr.Ramasubbareddy)
- One day-long workshop of GE Imaging systems to encourage
Industry interactions of Biomedical Engineering students at IITM, 2006.
- An entrepreneurial talk on “Technology
commercialization” by Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India -
under the banner C-Tides of IITM, 2005.
MSB 207, Biomedical Engineering
Department of Applied Mechanics
IIT Madras, Chennai - 600036. India
Phone: +91 44 2257 4064
Email: mani [at] iitm [dot] ac [dot] in or mani [at] alum [dot] mit [dot] edu.
Last Updated: Mar 3rd 2017