e-book is not an electronic digitization of the printed material.
- This book should be called as Electronic Teacher. It teaches Engineering Fracture Mechanics by utilizing the current Multimedia Technology to its maximum and Mimic the Class Room Experience.
- This contains 60 hours of Teaching and Learning Material
- The basic theme “Teaching Made Simple” and “Learning Made More Enjoyable” is fully justified in the e-Book
- See the Demo Version of the e-Book for your own assessment
9. Is this e-book protected by any locking mechanism?
Yes. This book is protected by a password mechanism.
purchasing this e-book, please follow the installation procedure and it will
generate a machine ID at the time of installation. This has to be registered
with IIT Madras and the e-book Technical Team will send you the password to
your e-mail account.
Do I need to enter the Password every time?
The default setting is Remember Password. Password is needed only for the first time to activate the e-book. (Recommended for general use).
However, if you want to protect this e-book for minimum user accesses, deactivate the Remember Password. This will ask the password to be entered every time to use the e-book.
10. Is there a network option for Multiple use/accesses?
As of now, there is no network option. Multiple copies with individual license has to be purchased for multiple use. Please contact the distributor for special price.
11. Do I need to use the CD everytime to view the book?
No. You can copy the contents in the hard disk of the computer. It occupies just 195 MB of hard disk. CD can be kept in a safe place.
12. How do the Libraries can make the book available to the users?
Identify a computer with minimum configuration (Pentium 4 Processor, 128MB RAM, Windows Operating System (2000, XP), Internet Explorer 5+ with Flash Plugin Support), which a normal user of the library can have access to it.
Load the e-book on to that computer.
Users can come to the library and read the e-book Engineering Fracture Mechanics (e-EFM) from the computer just like any other reference book.
e-EFM occupies just 195 MB of disk space.
The same computer can be used for other library functions such as searching the catalogue or reading any other e-books.
13. I want to adopt the book for my course on Fracture Mechanics – How many copies do I need to order? Do the students need individual licenses to use the book?
Please note that this book is sold to a machine! The students need not get individual licenses to use the book.
number of copies you need depends on the size of the class. For a class of
25 students ten copies is ideal and five copies are essential. The split up
could be as follows:
Distribution of five copies
on your Office desktop.
One copy on your notebook and another copy on the multimedia classroom.
This distribution will make you easily prepare for the lecture from any place and provide you mobility too.
The remaining two copies you can put in a computational laboratory for students to use.
Distribution of ten copies
The first three copies as before and the remaining seven copies you can give access to the students.
copies of the book can be ordered at a special price – contact the distributor.
14. Is the license renewable every year?
It is a perpetual license and yearly renewal is not required.
15. Is there any discount for the Educational Institutions?
Yes. There is special discounted price for Educational Institutions. Please contact the distributor.
16. How this e-book will be useful for Educational Institutions?
This e-book will be a great tool for students and teachers in the following departments:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Metallurgy and Material Science
- Applied Mechanics
Portions of this e-book could also be used in other courses such as Strength of Materials, Mechanics of Solids, Theory of Elasticity, Experimental Stress Analysis and Finite Elements.
Fracture Mechanics/ Damage Mechanics is becoming an important subject to be learned even at the Undergraduate level. Being a multidisciplinary subject, it is difficult to teach.
e-book will help immensely the institutes that are planning to introduce a
course on “Fracture Mechanics/ Damage Mechanics”.
17. How is this e-book useful for Industry and Practising Engineers?
In many Engineering Schools, Engineering Fracture Mechanics is only a recent topic of interest. As a continuing education program, this e-book will fill the professional requirement of your engineer to apply the concepts of Fracture Mechanics in their work environment.
e-book will be a valuable addition to the Human Resources Development Department,
R & D Personnel and a source of reference for practicing engineers.