Dr. M. Manivannan
Dept. of. Applied Mechanics, IIT Madras
Email: mani [at] iitm [dot] ac [dot] in, and mani [at] alum [dot] mit [dot] edu
On Sabbatical at MIT until May 2013. [email: mani at mit dot edu]
Dr. Manivannan holds PhD and ME degrees from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. He received post-doctoral training in Haptics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge. Before MIT, he received another post-doctoral training in CAD standards and Sensors Network at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Maryland. He was serving as a chief software architect of Yantric Inc., a spin-off company of MIT Touchlab, in Cambridge MA, before joining IIT Madras in Jun, 2005. More details can be found in this link.
Laboratory Associated: Touch Lab at IIT Madras
Areas of Specialization
- Haptics (What is Haptics?)
- Virtual Reality
- Computer Graphics
- Computational Geometry
- Computational Physiology
- Biomedical Instruments
- Needs of Vision Impaired, Hearing Impaired, and Touch Impaired.
- Medical Simulations with Haptics Feedback.
- Applications of Haptics in Computer Games.
- Science of Touch in Indian Medicine.
Recent Papers (Current and Last Year)
Complete List of Publications
- A Simple Catheter Insertion Simulation
- Our Hybrid Haptic Device
- Tangible Images
- Combat Tactile Jacket
- Laparoscopic Simulator with Haptic Guidance.
Courses Teaching at IITM
List of Courses Taught
List of Theses
Promotion of Haptics in India
- Short term course on "Introduction to Haptics" in IISc
Bangalore as a visiting scientist from MIT during July-August 2004.
- Haptics Worskhop, Techfest IIT Bombay, Jan 24-25 2009.
- Haptics Workshop, IIT Delhi, Jul 9-10 2011.
- Haptics Challenges in MEMS, an invited talk in "The XVI International Workshop on the Physics of Semiconductor Devices", IIT Kanpur, Dec 19-22 2011.
- Haptics and Bioedical Engineering, an elective course in IIT Madras.
Promoting Engineering of Alternative Medicine in India
- Two-day workshop on “Varma Naadi Based Clinical Diagnosis: Dasa Naadi - Clinical and Scientific Exploration”, Jul 26,27 2012.
- Memorandum of Understanding has been signed with National Insitute of Siddha on 22nd June 2011
- One-day workshop on “Varma Naadi Based Clinical Diagnosis”, Dec 2010.
- Spin-off research foundation: International Varma Research Foundation
- National workshop on "Scientific Approaches in Siddha Drugs for Siddha Doctors” SASDSD2010 April 22nd - 23rd - 2010.
- Two-day workshop on "Alternative Medicine and Biomedical Engineering"; AMBE2006.
- Panecea, Biomedical Competition and Business Event, 2007-2008.
- Short Term Training Program for Biomedical Engineering Faculty, June 11-22, 2007, IIT Madras. (Jointly with Dr.Ramasubbareddy)
- One day-long workshop of GE Imaging systems to encourage Industry interactions of Biomedical Engineering students at IITM, 2006.
- An entrepreneurial talk on “Technology commercialization” by Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India - under the banner C-Tides of IITM, 2005.
MSB 207, Biomedical Engineering
Department of Applied Mechanics
IIT Madras, Chennai - 600036. India
Phone: +91 44 2257 4064
Email: mani at iitm.ac.in
Last Updated: Mar 3rd 2011